Friday, October 26, 2012

Kindness Changes Everything

Someone REALLY smart posted that on Facebook a few months ago, it's so simple and so true.  As soon as I saw it I of course "liked" it, then I reposted it, then I took it one step further and decided I was going to let this be in the FRONT of my mind as I deal with others every day.

 So.  .  .today I had the opportunity to volunteer at Camden's school.  I love being involved at the kids' schools and I'm able to be at Evan's preschool a lot more the Elementary school because I always have Braelyn in tow and the preschool usually has some awesome girls in the nursery that help me with her.  Also, B can be a bit of a distraction in the classroom, which is where I would typically be if I went to the elementary school.  ANYWAY, so I was glad that I was going to be able to help at 10:30 this morning at the school.  So when I walk in it appears everything has been taken care of--there was someone already doing the "running" and apparently another lady arrived early to get started on the "bagging" part of the job.  No problem, obviously I wouldn't be running because I did have the stroller so I tried with all my might to help with "bagging". .  .I mean, I was there at the time specified and I wanted to help.  Long story short I was basically (in front of the principal mind you) told I wasn't needed and I could just go.  .  .I mean, unless I "just wanted to stay".  I know what you are all thinking, awesome-everything is done.  Sure it was nice to be able to walk back home (I walked b/c it was a pretty morning), but listen people--my time is just as valuable as the next person.  IF for some reason the plan changed maybe an email to let the other 2 people know would be nice (or the one person since clearly I was the only one out of the loop).  Or maybe you say "I have somewhere to be, do you mind taking over here"--OR I KNOW I KNOW--THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.  I honestly walked out not wanting to go back.  Now, I know that this lady probably did have somewhere to be, and I'm sure it was never her intention to make me feel like a total loser--but she did.  If we could all just take notice of our words, our tone, our actions we could all make a difference for someone.

I'm sure there was a reason that I was put in this situation.  I deal with volunteers a lot at the preschool, maybe I've made them feel bad a time or two.  Perhaps I should be more patient with my kids (I think we all know I should be more patient with my kids).  Maybe I should choose my words more carefully when dealing with people.  Like I said, I know there's a lesson, I am not perfect.  For now I will start with remembering daily that "kindness changes everything".

Aren't these 2 just too much? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be upset if that happened to me as well! Many schools do not like if you bring younger kids with you to help. Maybe that is why that asked you to leave. It's unfortunate because they miss out on many helpers because of these policies, especially when the kids aren't a distraction!

Melanie said...

that definitely wasn't the issue--i really think this girl just had somewhere to be and took over. it's really silly when I reflect back on how much it upset me, but I just think sometimes we need to remember that we all have things to do and just the courtesy of an email that you are changing the time or you've got it handled so probably you don't need for them to show would be nice. it was really just the way it was handled, but I really don't think it was intended to come across the way it did. I'm sure I'm guilty of doing the same thing--though I do hate to admit it b/c I'm pretty sure I'm "practically perfect in every way" ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails