Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Do the hills really matter???

Oh yea, the hills REALLY matter!!  So, Evan has been in swim lessons for the past few weeks and before his lesson I go to the park where the pool is (also the park where Adam and I played ball and worked the concession stand) and I do a jog.  I set a goal on the 2nd lesson that I was going to jog the whole trail (it's only 1.5 miles) before it was all over--honestly by the next lesson I had met my goal.  Now, I didn't go fast--it took me about 18 minutes to finish--but that is huge for me!!  I've not been able to go longer than about 8 minutes outside--18 minutes on the treadmill in the A/C I can do-but I DESPISE the treadmill!!  So all week last week we sort of dragged, I had a lot to get done and the boys really weren't feeling well due to allergies so pretty much I worked out 1 day.  Monday came and it was pouring rain leading me to the conclusion that "you should never put off what you can do today b/c tomorrow it might be raining!"  Normally I would put Evan down for a nap and do a workout on the Wii, but since he had swim lessons at 11 we had to forgo the morning nap, which means no workout for Mommy.  So today, I was ready!  Not only was I going to jog around the neighborhood, I was going to do a Wii workout as well--I have to make up for my lack of movement last week somehow!!  I set a goal (because remember last time I set a goal I met it no sweat--well I was sort of sweaty...nevermind) my goal was walk 5, jog 20, walk 5.  .  .
I walked my first 5 and was ready to go, b/c I was bored with the walking--I picked up my pace and literally 5 minutes in thought I was going to keel over.  .  .but I kept going--now, our neighborhood is pretty hilly (the trail is too, but I work it so the big hills are in the beginning and easier to push through), and there's not much shade, and I had the dog.  So, I made it about 12 minutes and me and the dog both were ready to keel over.  .  .
MORAL OF THE STORY--the hills matter, who knows, maybe I got a better workout than I do on the other trail (which again, is not completely flat, but it's also very shady and I never have Penny)--but how sad that not only did I not meet my goal, I didn't even make it as long as I normally do.  .  .

Oh well.  .  .

1 comment:

Monica said...

Hills definitely make a difference and really change up a workout - that's all I have to say! Good job Mel!

Related Posts with Thumbnails