BLAH, BLAH, BLAH-and seriously--I'm so J-E-A-L-O-U-S!!!! My kids are picky--picky--picky! Now, we knew Camden was picky, but Evan is getting pickier and pickier every day! Tonight on the menu: Chef Boyardee (which I try to limit to a few times a month), and mandarin oranges--he ate the oranges-that's IT!! He will eat grilled chicken, and last week he ate some beef that had been cooked in the crock pot--so in that aspect he's a better eater than Camden, but still--there's NO VEGGIE that either of my children will eat on a consistent basis!! Don't think I haven't tried--I have. I guess some kids are just picky. I hate it, I really do. I'm good, I don't make a "kids meal" and an "adult meal"--NOW, I will sometimes "modify" but I try to make sure we are all eating basically the same thing. If I'm making something that I just KNOW they won't eat, or if it's the weekend--I'll throw a hot dog or some nuggets at them, but other than that I work hard to put good nutritious food in front of them on a daily basis.

I also don't believe in cutting out all snacks!! Camden has gotten very good about choosing "healthy snacks", in fact when he asks for one he will always say "can I have a HEALTHY snack?" :) I've been hitting up the grocery store at least 3 times a week for fresh fruit--it's washed and kept where he can get to it in the fridge so when he does snack he can grab that! So, the question is, does fruit replace veggies? If my kids eat healthy snacks (a reasonable amount of snacks--b/c remember 5 small meals is better than 3 large ones) does that make up for their lack of healthy dinner? I can't just starve them--I know they say kids will eat when they get hungry--but guess what people--I DIDN'T!! I guess the thing to do is just relax, let my kids be who they are and ignore all those people who's kids eat anything you put in front of them?
I guess now I know how my parents felt. . .
:)
2 comments:
Try not to let fruits replace veggies. Fruits are great but they are also lacking in many of the vitamins/minerals that are found in Veggies (esp the skins of veggies).
Try cooking some veggies in bacon fat ;) it's delicious!
But, if you are going to stick with the fruit then try and get a variety in there. Like: avocadoes, apples, tomatoes, olives, apricots, ripened bananas, coconuts, dates, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, tropical fruits, grapes, etc...
while good in theory. . .i'm not sure me telling them that fruits lack the vitamins and minerals that are found in veggies is going to help them eat more. nor do i think cooking them in bacon fat will work (GROSS BY THE WAY)!! i've heard all the theories about disguising it, making it fun, cover it in cheese, give them dip. . .truly these things don't work for picky children (not mine anyway)!!
that being said, they eat grapes, bananas, and strawberries on a daily basis. they also liked the canned fruits, don't worry I rinse them first!!
you will understand one day Uncle Adam!! :)
Post a Comment