Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Deceptively Delicious Debacle



I am going to preface this post by saying--I've never made pancakes before.  .  .but I will do anything to try and get my kiddo to eat better so when he chose the pancake recipe out of my Deceptively Delicious cookbook I was happy to.  . .attempt :)

So-several years ago my parents saw Jessica Seinfeld on Oprah and instantly ordered me her Deceptively Delicious cookbook.  I have pulled it out from time to time since then, but I have never felt quite brave enough to actually attempt any of her recipes.  The last time we went to the pediatrician, he also mentioned it to me.  What people don't understand is my child is picky-and that means he eats NOTHING that he doesn't recognize.  ANYWAYS, in our attempt to have him eating healthier we pulled it out and let him go through and pick the recipes he wanted to try.  Obviously, we didn't tell him there were extra veggies in there, we just simply said we wanted him to pick out some foods.  I was sure to point out the recipes that I knew his friends had taste tested as well.  His pick, SHOCKINGLY, was pancakes and chicken nuggets.  I decided the pancakes looked the easiest, so I told him we would just do breakfast for dinner sometime.  I got myself all ready and then added the pancakes to my weekly menu and shopping list.  Yesterday was the big day!  Jason was going to be late getting home and Camden had basketball practice so it was going to be an early dinner, and I would not have any help from the "residential pancake expert".  I got the pancakes going and geared up for my first flip.  .  .IT. DID. NOT. GO. WELL!!  I'm thinking now, that I didn't have the heat turned up enough, but at the time it was just frustrating!!  LONG story sort of shortened--we sat down to eat and they were slightly "undone" in the middle  Camden tried to like them, I could tell he was making a good attempt b/c he went back for more even though he'd already said he didn't like them.  After his first bite he said "um.  .  .these don't taste like my pancakes.  .  ." I said "really, it's my first time ever making pancakes and I tried really hard.  .  ." then I tasted them and said "you are right, they do taste different, but they sure are good"  to which he responded "yea, I mean, I like them, but I just am really full right now.  .  ."
So next time we do pancakes, Daddy will be making them, per Camden's request!! :)
On this same subject, we have been enforcing a new rule that you have to at least try it before you get down from the table, it seems to be helping.  I'm not sure if he's just the right age or what.  He does try most things, and he will even "choke" some of them down if they don't kill him first.  .  . ;)

IN OTHER NEWS:
I seem to be struggling with letting my little one go away for the weekend.  There is actually an offer on the table, and I've been just sick to my stomach over it!!  I know I went through this with Camden, and really, when he goes away for the weekend I get a little sad--but for some reason I am really freaking out over letting Evan go away for the weekend.  .  .

Another random--CLOTHES SUCK RIGHT NOW.  I've tried on several occasions to go out and by myself some new clothes--I have come back empty handed EVERY time.  Am I the only person with this problem?  Is it the styles, is it my age??  Where is your favorite place to shop?  Help me out here people.  My staples need some updating and replacing--everything is too big in the boob area and it is VERY frustrating!!

I hope everyone is doing well--sorry for my wordiness and my randomness!!  I have tried 2 new Wii Fitness games, and I have one more to try.  Once I'm done--I'll review for you!! :)

2 comments:

barb said...

i know exactly who Cam got that picky about food trait from... have you tried canned green beans yet...

Melanie said...

oh yes, we have tried green beans! he loved them for a while, then wouldn't touch them, but started eating them again after he was forced to "retry" them for the "can't get up until you have one bite rule" :)
i know where he got it from too. . .Jason. . .haha!! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails