Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The Difference Between 3 & 4

When I took Camden for his 1 year check up--the doctor warned me about the "Terrible Twos" he warned me about how bad they are, and he let me know that it would start around 18 months! That didn't give me much time to prepare my strategy!! So 18 months came and went. . .24 months came and went. . .36 months came & HOLY CRAP, forget the "Terrible Twos", we were full swing in the Terroristic Threes!! AHHHHH!!

Now in Camden's defense (and I know you've read it before)--he had a lot of changes right around the time he turned 3--new brother, daddy gone, new school, new life really--so I'll give him that! I will still say age 3 was the most challenging thus far, and I know there will be more challenges but now that I've survived year 3--I know I can handle anything thrown my way! :) ha-I'm always so confident when I'm talking with my keyboard!!

Okay--I've covered the threes, now let me tell you a little about the FANTASTIC FOURS!! It's like we have a completely different kid. There are still some meltdowns here and there, and some attitude (to be expected, he is his mother's child)--but seriously, I can't believe the difference between 3 & 4. Camden does chores (he's yet to clean his playroom-see note about "some meltdowns"), he puts away his underpants and socks (bottom drawer), he puts his hang up clothes on hangers, when we come in from school he gets his folder and lunch box and puts them in the kitchen and then he hangs up his book bag!! It's great!! Another thing that we've noticed is he is so much more affectionate, he loves on us ALL the time. Not an hour goes by without him stopping what he's doing to tell us that he loves us. Now, I'll admit, sometimes it's a delay tactic, but I pretend it's not and just take it all in!! He's always willing to pitch in when it comes to Evan--most recently Evan has had to start getting breathing treatments (he hates them), and Camden will come in and do his best to entertain him! Camden dresses himself (this was not an easy feat), is learning to give himself a bath (daddy has a hard time with this one), and currently we are working on wiping our own bottom (and by "our own" I mean "his", and it's a work in progress)! STILL-big changes in the Conner household people, BIG changes!

I write this post not to tell everyone how perfect my child is--he's not! I write it to give hope to the Mom's out there who are at their wits end with their 3 year old! You are not alone, you are not doing anything wrong, and I promise--there is an end in sight!! I think 3 is a tough age because kids are learning independence and they aren't sure they want to be independent. . .but they aren't sure they want to be babies either. They are also learning to communicate better, but it's frustrating to have to repeat yourself to Mommy and Daddy all the time. You know, I really have no idea! All I know, is the changes I've seen in my little man in the past couple of months are welcome ones!!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

my mother always said that the whole "terrible two's" thing was propaganda put out by three and four year olds!

Melanie said...

haha! she's probably right!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails