Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Personal Best!

I've always wanted to run a 5K by myself, just to see how well I would do if I just focused on my time. For most people 5ks are social, you pick a fun one or one that supports a cause you are serious about, rally your friends and off you go!!  Well, this time I just wanted to see.  .  .

I just want to finish under 33 minutes (this is what I said outloud, but really I wanted to finish in under 30).  I've never really paid any attention to the age groups, or top 10s, etc.  .  .but it would be pretty cool to finish in the top right??  I watched the weather and at the last minute decided to sign up for Run the Reagan, it would be a little chilly, but the race doesn't start until 11 so I figured it would warm up to almost the high of the day!  Can I just say--I'm so glad it didn't rain/snow like TWC said it would.  We are in Georgia the weather changed a million times between the time I signed up and the time we actually ran!  Fortunately Dad was able to drop me a the start line right at race time so I wasn't completely frozen by the time we started!!
Coolest thing ever.  .  .the race announcer told everyone "if you have a number over 2000 please move to the back" I looked down and I was 1208!  WOO HOO!!  Mind you, I paid for that position it's not because I'm a super awesome runner.  This race gives you an option of a timed race, and an untimed race--and yes I kept that in mind when I saw the results.  I started in the front of the pack, and I would say I finished somewhat in the front--not quite middle, but not way out in front with the dude who finished in 16 minutes (WHAT??  he was in a tank top and shorts too)!!

I ended up finishing in 29:47.  That was the time when I crossed the finish, I'm glad I booked it right there at the end.  I had the little thingie on my bib that tracks you and I really thought my time would be a little less since I didn't cross the start line right when the clock started-but oh well, it was under 30 (my secret personal goal)!!  I even waited around for the results, secretly hoping I would see my name on the leader board.  .  .yea, did I mention the guy who finished first did it in 16 minutes!!  However, when they posted results on the web I was 5th in my age group (out of 30 timed runners, Camden asked how many were in my age group)!!  YAHOO!!!  I finished 185th overall, and 51st out of 333(timed) women.  .  .ANYWAY, I know it's not as super awesome as I think it is, and if you are one of those "oh yea, I place every time" just hush--don't burst my bubble!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails