Thursday, July 11, 2013

Carb Free. . .

NOT ME!

I tell ya--I've been trying to focus more on what I'm putting in my body lately (sort of) and it's very eye opening.  It seems that everything I come across lately is pushing the paleo, clean eating, or carb free lifestyle.  I don't really need to lose weight, BUT, I eat a lot of crap.  . .seriously.  .  .I'm a self-professed carboholic.  Since Jason has been traveling so much lately, I've been eating what the kids eat (minus the hot dogs, I like them, but not all the time).  This has been good because it means I really don't have to cook as much (1 pack of chicken could last us 3 meals) and I am able to "dumb" down some of the things I make when Jason is home and figure out how to make it appeal to my picky eaters.  On the other side of this double edged sword, it means when I make frozen pizza or mac and cheese (from a box) there are no leftovers because MOMMY ate more than her fair share.  Add this to my daily sandwich, chips, and yogurt (typical lunch), cheese toast and yogurt for breakfast (or GoLean Crunch) and I've consumed enough carbs to feed an army!  So the boys have been gone and I was going to try to focus more on pulling the carbs out (by the way "gluten free" does not equal "carb free").  I've wrapped my sandwich in lettuce twice this week, but I couldn't bring myself to forgo my chips.  I was eating my favorite Chobani yogurt and turned it around to and realized it has almost as much carbs as the bread that I left off of my sandwich.  .  .COME ON!!!  So then I was told (and I probably should've known) that sugars = carbs  .  .  .my yogurt was non fat (I didn't realize) so that means more sugar which means more carbs.  It was suggested by MANY friends that I just buy the full fat yogurt and add my own fruit.  That sounds like a lot of work.  .  .too much work.  So, I'm going to keep my Chobani.  The lettuce around my sandwich meat was okay, might be better if I didn't have my meat shaved at the deli.  My brother made me a spaghetti squash stuffed with a hearty meat sauce and topped with cheese (similar, but BETTER, than my zuchinni boats)--it was fabulous.

I think what I've decided is that I want to be more cautious about what I'm putting into my body.  Hopefully it will make me more aware of what my kids are eating too, but, I'm still here and I promise I lived off of carbs and processed foods growing up.  I've tried giving up Diet Coke and I cheat on that all the time.  .  .i tried to think about cutting out carbs and cried the first day because of everything I would have to give up.  So maybe we will just practice moderation for now.  I've always said that's the key to a good diet, so now I will just figure out how to moderate those carbs.  What do you do to help cut your carb intakes?  Any good subs?  (no not the foot long-the "tutes"as in substitutes) Please share! I tried cauliflower mash this week.  .  .it was okay.  . .practice makes perfect, right??

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails